A sample of books for use in small groups, class lessons and with individual students that support responsibility.
WHAT IF EVERYBODY DID THAT? by Ellen Javernick
I love this story for so many reasons:
1) The illustrations really engage the students.
2) You can introduce so many topics with it:
– Character Education Traits like responsibility, respect, and citizenship.
– The importance of classroom, school, and community rules/laws.
– Rules and consequences
– Cause and effect
3) It works for a variety of ages. It’s always hard to find a book that appeals the masses, but I’ve used this book for grades 2-5th and they all love it.
Activity: Use these discussion cards to get students talking and check out my FREEBIE activities here.. You can use the cards to help facilitate discussion as you read or as a game (Quiz Quiz Trade) at the end of the story. You could also use the cards as writing prompts! Get them at my TPT store. Check out more back to school activities from Jillian Starr here.
A PERFECTLY MESSED UP STORY by Patrick McDonnell
That is one messy book! This book will make you laugh out loud leave kids asking “is that real?” The combination of the realistic and cartoon illustrations make this book captivating. I love using it to talk about the responsibility of taking care of our supplies, classroom books, etc.
Activity: Pick up my FREEIE about respecting school supplies here. Using it at the beginning of the year? Check out more back to school activities from Jillian Starr here.
Find more books here: https://www.goodreads.com/PawsitiveSchoolCounseling
See my personal list of books I own with categories and links to activities here. To Edit Click File and “Make a copy”!
Find videos to partner with books here:
Pawsitive School Counselor You Tube Page
Check out more amazing resources from these amazing counselors, educators, parents, etc.: