A sample of book designed for small groups, class lessons, and with individual students that support character education and respect.
WHAT IF EVERYBODY DID THAT? by Ellen Javernick
I love this story for so many reasons:
1) The illustrations really engage the students.
2) You can introduce so many topics with it:
– Character Education Traits like responsibility, respect, and citizenship.
– The importance of classroom, school, and community rules/laws.
– Rules and consequences
– Cause and effect
3) It works for a variety of ages. It’s always hard to find a book that appeals the masses, but I’ve used this book for grades 2-5th and they all love it.
Activity: Use these discussion cards to get students talking and check out my FREEBIE activities here. You can use the cards to help facilitate discussion as you read or as a game (Quiz Quiz Trade) at the end of the story. You could also use the cards as writing prompts! Get them at my TPT store.
DO UNTO OTTERS: A BOOK ABOUT MANNERS by Laurie Keller
This book is wonderful for talking about using good manners and showing others respect. This is a great updated twist on a classic “golden rule” lesson. I love showing the animated version of this book.
Activity: Check out this character education lesson. I love this FREEBIE from TPT. I also created a Kahoot as a quick review and easy post assessment.
Find more books here: https://www.goodreads.com/PawsitiveSchoolCounseling
See my personal list of books I own with categories and links to activities here. To Edit Click File and “Make a copy”!
Find videos to partner with books here:
Pawsitive School Counselor You Tube Page
Check out more amazing resources from these amazing counselors, educators, parents, etc.: