Grief Support Bags
Last year I started take home grief bags and they were a huge success.
These bags are easy for kids to carry home or for guardians to “grab and go.” Thanks to a donations and some thrifty shopping, I created 8 bags to get us started. The idea is that families could check out resources just like they would check out a library book for use at home.
I sent an email to parents and teachers about this resources and checked them about based on the referrals that came in.
Anxiety, Stress and Mindfulness Support Bags
I knew I wanted to continue this successful project, but wasn’t sure how. Then with so many students being virtual this year and standardized state testing coming up I decided to create take home bags focused on mindfulness and coping.
What is in each bag?
Each bag contains:
- Book(s)- I picked mine up at a local used book store
- Journal – Oriental Trading
- Pencil and Eraser- Target Dollar Spot
- Crayons- donation- I include some color pages and coloring activities from Canva
- Pipe cleaner- craft store- to bend into how you are feeling or for a fidget
- Balloons and bag of beans- Dollar Store- to create a stress ball
- Pack of antibacterial wipes- donation
- Bubble wrap- I save mine every time I order a package- for stress relief
- Stress ball- I collect them when I go to conferences
- Playdough- donation- I included a playdough activity from Counselor Keri
- Paper- donation- for journaling – I included journal prompts as well
- Sanford Harmony Card Set- I had extra
- Family test anxiety activity set- grab your copy here
- Tissues- donation
- Paper plate and directions on activity from Canva
- Pinwheel- Oriental Trading- for pinwheel breathing
I also included a folder with resources for parents and students.
The supports I put in the folder included:
- Individual Care Plan
- Brain and stress management Fortune Teller from The Responsive Counselor
- Coping Skills Color Sheet from Counselor Keri
- Test Prep Brochure for Parents
- Test prep games and conversations starters for parents
- Survey about bag (get your copy below)
- How to use the bag and information about how to use the materials included (get your copy below)
- Printables from Canva
- List of local counselors and counseling resources
- Book Discussion guide (get your copy below)
Download your copies of materials here:
Summer Support Bags
These bags are designed to be checked out and not returned. They are fun bags that students can use over the summer to promote mindfulness and fun! These to-go kits are perfect as you end a small group or say good bye to students you’ve worked with all year.
Here’s what’s inside:
- Sidewalk chalk with mindfulness activity label. Grab the FREEBIE label here.
- Lei, sea shells and beach visualization activity. I got the Lei from Oriental Trading and the seashells from my visits to the beach (you can also find some at the Dollar Store). You can get the beach activity here or here.
- Pinwheel and breathing activity. I got the pinwheels from Oriental Trading and you can get the label here.
- Roll a topic game for families- from the Target Dollar Spot
- Bubbles and bubble breathing- bubble tubes from Target and you can get the label here.
- Slinky- I got them from Oriental Trading and you can get the label here.
- Playdough- these were a donation and can the partner activity here.
- Debrief sign for families to discuss activities.
- Folder of activities including a goals of the week laminated page and post it notes.
- Outdoor scavenger hunt sheet.